LITTLE ROCK, AR-- Attorney General Dustin McDaniel issued the following statement today after responding to the Little Rock School District’s proposal for settlement of the long-running Pulaski County school desegregation case:
“I appreciate the Little Rock School District’s willingness to discuss an end to this litigation, but I cannot accept its proposal to continue supplemental funding for another seven years and to limit state oversight of the district.
“Today, I have shared with the Pulaski County school districts, the governor and legislators a settlement offer that would apply to all parties in the case.
It is a fair and reasonable resolution that balances the needs of the districts with the obligations of the State to provide an equitable and adequate education to all students.
I encourage the school districts to accept this offer so that we can finally end this costly and distracting litigation and focus our attention on where it belongs – in classrooms, not courtrooms.”
A copy of the Attorney General's full statement is attached to this story.
Original Story (October 16):
LITTLE ROCK, AR -- School district lawyers offered a deal last week that could end a years-long legal battle involving Arkansas schools.
But Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel says the offer to phase out desegregation payments to the district won't fly.
McDaniel called the offer progress, but says the offer leaves open the possibility of further litigation.
"The most important thing to me, and what I believe is the most important thing to the general assembly into the governor, is to end the dispute between the state and the Pulaski County School Districts."
At issue is a settlement stemming from a federal lawsuit which requires the state to pay three Pulaski County School Districts millions of dollars each year over previous desegregation policies.