LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - Ask any pet owner how important are their pets and you get a quick, ‘they’re my children.’ Because pets are such an important part of many families, Red Cross is pleased to announce its new Pet First Aid App that puts lifesaving information right in the hands of dog and cat owners.
The 99 cent Pet First Aid app gives iPhone and Android smart phone users instant access to expert information to learn how to maintain their pet’s health, and what to do during emergencies until veterinary assistance is available.
“The Pet First Aid App provides step-by-step instructions, videos and images for more than 25 common first aid and emergency situations including how to treat wounds, control bleeding, and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies.” said Brigette Williams, American Red Cross in Arkansas Communications Information Officer. “Information provided within the app helps pet owners to increase their recognition of health problems and when to contact their veterinarian.”
Additional topics covered that affected four-legged friends in different ways than their two-legged owners include burns, car accidents, falls and what to do for cold and heat related emergencies.
Other features in the app allow pet owners to:
- Create a pet profile including tag identification number, photos, list of medications and instructions.
- Use the list of early warning signs to learn when to call their veterinarian.
- Use “click-to-call” to contact their veterinarian.
- Find emergency pet care facilities or alternate veterinarians with the “animal hospital locator.”
- Locate pet-friendly hotels.
- Test their knowledge with interactive quizzes and earn badges that they can share on their social networks along with their favorite picture of their pet.
History shows that many people are reluctant to evacuate during disasters because they did not want to leave their pets behind. “We also see abandoned pets after floods and tornadoes where the pet was not included in emergency relocation plans,” stated Williams. The Red Cross app contains resources to help owners include pets in their emergency action plans.
Pet owners can take a Red Cross Pet First Aid course to learn additional skills and receive feedback by visiting redcross.org/takeaclass for information and to register.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.