LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) – Patrons of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS) will have more choices in managing their library accounts with two new types of cards beginning Saturday, Feb.1. Family and child provisional cards will offer more options for families using library services while CALS continues to work within the scope of Arkansas library confidentiality laws with individual cardholders.
Library cards should only be used by the account holder. Each individual will be required to present their own library card at check out. The rights and responsibilities of the card are not transferable, except in instances where informed written consent has been given.
The new family card will serve as a group account for up to ten family members residing in the same household. It allows parents to access information regarding materials that their children check out using the account. Adults residing in the same household and listed as users will be able to more easily pick up reserved materials and renew checked out items.
- Available to individuals who are at least 18 years old to cover persons residing in the same household and listed as users. Limited to ten authorized users.
- Check out limits and fine limits will be the same as individual cards.
- The person listed as the head of the account will be responsible for any fines or fees incurred on the account.
- Current CALS cardholders in good standing with full borrowing privileges may convert their current CALS card to a family card.
- Any person listed on the account may check out books, pick up holds, and renew materials.
Child's Provisional Card
- A child's provisional card will be offered for children who need or would like to obtain a library account without a parent/guardian's signature.
- Child must be able to give their full name and all other required account information.
- 5 item check out limit.
- Available to individuals 14 years of age and older who meet ID requirements.
- Children younger than 14 years of age with parent/guardian permission (signature) on their application can be issued regular individual accounts.
- Library cards may only be used at check out by the account holder. The rights and responsibilities of the card are not transferable, except in instances where informed written consent has been given.
CALS libraries in Little Rock include: Main Library, 100 Rock Street; Hillary Rodham Clinton Children's Library and Learning Center, 4800 W. 10th Street, Dee Brown Library, 6325 Baseline Road; Fletcher Library, 823 North Buchanan Street; McMath Library, 2100 John Barrow Road,Oley E. Rooker Library, 11 Otter Creek Court; Terry Library, 2015 Napa Valley Drive; Thompson Library, 38 Rahling Circle; and Williams Library, 1800 Chester Street. CALS libraries in surrounding communities include: Max Milam Library, 609 Aplin Avenue, Perryville; Maumelle Library, 10 Lake Pointe Drive, Maumelle; Esther D. Nixon Library, 703 W. Main Street, Jacksonville; Amy Sanders Library, 31 Shelby Drive, Sherwood; and Millie M. Brooks Library, 13024 Hwy. 365 S., Wrightsville.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.