58°F
Sponsored by
60 Years of KARK

Keep Fire Safety in Mind During Winter Weather

Colder temperatures and freezing precipitation bring increased risks.
LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - Forecasts for plunging temperatures and freezing precipitation that could cause power outages, adds to the American Red Cross in Arkansas safety concerns for increase in residential fires.

“We’ve already seen an increase in home fires with the start of the Thanksgiving holidays,” stated American Red Cross in Arkansas Disaster Director Roger Elliot. “We still remember the increase in homes fires during the Christmas power outage last December from use of fireplaces that had not been inspected and unfortunately resulted in destroyed homes.” 

With the usual increase in fires during the holidays and the addition of a winter storm, the Red Cross is urging Arkansans to increase their fire safety.

The following tips can help minimize the risk for fires in homes and apartments:
  • Do not use fireplaces and heating units that have not been professionally checked. 
  • All heaters need space! Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture as well as pets and people, at least 3 feet away from fireplaces, stoves and space heaters. 
  • Place portable space heaters on a hard, level, nonflammable surface.  Do not put space heaters on rugs or carpets, near bedding or drapes, and keep children and pets away.  Look for a model that shuts off automatically if the space heater tips over.
  • Do not use heating equipment to dry wet clothing. 
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Never leave portable heaters, wood burning stoves or fireplaces unattended.  Turn them off before leaving or going to bed. 
  • Keep the fire in the fireplace by using a glass or metal screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs. 
“I hope everyone has a working fire alarm and a fire evacuation plan at home,’ stated Disaster Director Roger Elliott. “A fire alarm is always your first line of fire safety defense.” In the event of power outages the following tips are recommended:
  • Never use a generator inside a home, garage, basement or crawlspace or any partially enclosed area.
  • Keep an ice filled cooler and digital quick response thermometer on hand to preserve your food.
  • When using a portable generator, do not connect it to your home’s electrical system.
  • Always read, follow and maintain generator according to manufacturer’s operating instructions.

To find out more about fire safety regarding your Christmas tree, watch the embedded video.


Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus