67°F
Sponsored by
Election HQ

Emotional Courtroom as 74-Year-Old Man Pleads 'No Contest' to Negligent Homicide

A 74-year-old man who hit and killed a woman on her morning walk last year pleaded no contest to negligent homicide on Monday.
He's a ruined man.
LITTLE ROCK, AR -- A 74-year-old man who hit and killed a woman on her morning walk last year pleaded no contest to negligent homicide on Monday.

Jim Garner pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge in an incident that occurred on Aug. 5, 2012, Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley confirmed.

Last year, Garner hit Margaret Proctor, 66, around 8:30 a.m. while she was walking on Taylor Loop Road in Little Rock. Garner said he had no recollection of the accident.

Garner was sentenced to a year of probation, a $2,500 fine and his driver's license was revoked.

"He's a ruined man," Jegley said of Garner.  "And so is Margaret Proctor's husband and her family.  The tragedy is not one sided or one dimensional.  There's no fathoming the loss of someone like Proctor, who was loved by her family, church and school. But (Garner) is also devastated."

Jegley said the decision of whether to go to trial or offer a plea of no contest was left up to Proctor's family.

"They are good Christian people," Jegley said.

Jegley said it was an emotional day in the courtroom as the case came to a close.

"I heard there weren't many dry eyes when it was all over and done with," he said.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Most Recent Stories

News Stream

KARK Twitter Feed