Falling is the major cause of accidental death in anyone over age 65. Dr. David discusses what to do in the case you or a loved one
1. If you have fallen, see a doctor to have a falls assessment. Your doctor will try to find any medical condition that can cause a fall.
2. Stay as strong as possible, the more you exercise the less the chance of falling.
3. Use a cane or a walker if you are unsteady.
4. Fall proof the home, and most importantly the bathroom.
5. Make sure there is adequate lighting and lights that go on when you wake up at night to use the bathroom.
6. Wear sensible clothing, like sturdy shoes.
7. Avoid medications that can lead to drowsiness or dizziness.