LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - The American Red Cross in Arkansas knows Arkansans are getting prepared to fire up backyard grills before enjoying holiday fireworks.
“Everyone looks forward to having fun over the Fourth of July, and the Red Cross wants to make sure it’s a safe holiday,” said Brigette Williams, American Red Cross in Arkansas Communication Information Officer. “That includes not having a visit from your fire department and one of our Red Cross Disaster Responders as a result of a home fire started because of improper use of grills or fireworks.”
To ensure the fun continues safely, without injury or home fires, the Red Cross shares the following safety tips:
The best way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. Here are five safety steps if you’re setting fireworks off at home. Remember to check if fireworks are allowed in your town:
- Never give fireworks to small children to hold, and always follow the instructions on the packaging. Talk to teenagers about the dangers of fireworks.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution in case of sparks or fires.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight "a dud."
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
Every year people are injured while using charcoal or gas grills. Here are several steps to safely cook up treats for the backyard barbecue:
- Only use lighter fluid designed for grills, and follow manufacturer instructions.
- Never leave a lit or hot grill unattended.
- Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- Make sure everyone, including children and the pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
DOWNLOAD FREE FIRST AID APP
The Red Cross has a free Red Cross First Aid App to put expert advice for everyday emergencies at their fingertips. The app is available for smart phones and tablets and can be downloaded from the Apple or Google Play for Android app stores.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.