LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - Although Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport will see a large number of holiday travelers, passenger traffic is expected to be down this Christmas and New Year’s as compared to last year.
According to TSA (Transportation Security Administration) figures, 40,663 travelers are estimated to fly out of the airport during the period, which began today, Friday, Dec. 20 and continues through Wednesday, Jan. 1.
The projection is down nearly 5 percent from last year’s total of 42,713. Saturday, Dec. 21 will be the busiest day with 3,918 passengers departing. Please note that projections do not include arriving passengers. Historically, the Thanksgiving holiday week is the busiest of the year for the state’s largest airport.
Throughout the holiday travel season, the airport will see more leisure passengers, many of whom do not travel often. Travelers will notice a new ticket lobby with additional kiosks for easier check-in, a new baggage screening system, curbside check-in offered by Southwest and Delta, a renovated baggage claim area plus the addition of TSA Pre.
Passengers are asked to follow the following tips to help ensure they arrive at their destination on-time and as stress-free as possible.
- Air carriers ask that you be at the airport 90 minutes before your flight. This will allow time to check-in, handle any security waits and be at the gate on time as most flights are expected to be full.
- Travelers may bring one carry-on bag and one personal item, such as a purse or laptop.
- Liquids, gels and aerosols as carry-ones must be in: three ounce containers or smaller that are placed in a one quart, clear plastic zip-top bag. Limit one zip-top bag per passenger.
- Do not wrap gifts as officers may have to search contents of packages.
- Before leaving home, check your air carrier’s website to make sure your flight is on-time and check-in online if possible. However, those checking luggage will still need to stop at the airline ticket counter.
- For quick pick-up, customers may use metered parking in front of baggage claim.
Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.