LITTLE ROCK, AR - An Arkansas ice cream company wants to give away some free scoops.
Yarnell’s Ice Cream is celebrating National Ice Cream Day* on Sunday.
As it does each year, Yarnell’s wants to celebrate the day with central Arkansans. This year, Yarnell’s is offering free cups of vanilla ice cream.
The event is going on from 1-3 p.m. at Riverfront Park (in the History Pavilion near the splash pad).
Scoop, Yarnell’s mascot, will be on hand to celebrate with fans.
Fun Facts about ice cream**:
- The average American eats about 20 quarts of ice cream a year — the world’s highest per capita consumption.
- Vanilla remains the most popular flavor among American consumers, followed by chocolate, cookies ‘n cream and strawberry.
- Chocolate syrup is the favorite topping to put on ice cream.
- It takes 12 pounds of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
- It takes approximately 50 licks to finish off a scoop of ice cream.
- About 9 percent of all the milk produced by U.S. dairy farmers is used to produce ice cream.
*July is National Ice Cream month and July 20 is National Ice Cream Day. They were designated as such by President Ronald Reagan in 1984. In the proclamation, President Reagan called for all people of the United States to observe these events with “appropriate ceremonies and activities.”
**From the National Ice Cream Retailers Association and the International Dairy Food Association.