UPDATE: Victim's Wife Arrested in Shooting Investigation

DOVER, Ark.-- An arrest has been made in connection with a shooting on July 2nd in Pope County.

Originally Kim Hawkins,51, of Dover and her husband James Hawkins, 39, of Dover told police that their 10-year-old grandson shot him in the leg.

After further investigation, Pope County Sheriff's found out that Kim Hawkins was the one who actually fired the shot.

According to police, during an interview, the Hawkins’ 10-year-old grandson told the investigator that Kim Hawkins and James Hawkins were arguing when Kim got a pistol and shot two times with one round hitting James in the leg.

The boy went on to say "she did not mean to".

The grandson then said he tried to run away from the house, but was stopped by Kim and both Kim and James convinced him to lie to the police and say he shot James Hawkins.

Kim was then arrested on second degree battery charges and the 10-year-old boy was released to his mother.

Hawkins currently is being held at the Pope County Detention Center on a $5000 bond. Hawkins is ordered to appear for a plea arraignment hearing on August 17 in the Pope County Circuit Court.

Content provided by River Valley Leader.

Original Story:
DOVER, Ark. - A grandfather was shot by his grandson Sunday evening in an apparent accidental shooting.

Police were called to the 700 block of Hurley Road in Dover July 2, just before 6:30 p.m. in reference to a gunshot wound.

When they arrived, the victim, James Hawkins, 39, of Dover, was being put into an ambulance to be taken to St. Mary's Regional Medical Center. Police were told James had been shot in the inner thigh of his right leg.

Police then spoke with James' wife, Kim Hawkins, 51, of Dover. Kim said James had asked their grandson, a juvenile whose age has not been released, to go get a pistol that was on a dresser in the grandson's bedroom.

Kim said her grandson was supposed to get the gun for her so she could put it away. That's when she heard two gunshots and realized her husband had been shot.

Police spoke with the grandson, who said he went to get the pistol because he was told to, and he wasn't aware the gun was loaded. The boy said, when he grabbed the gun, it went off twice and he dropped it. He said he saw his grandfather had been hit by the stray bullets and immediately took the gun to his grandparent's room and unloaded it. 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

  • KARK 4 News

  • KARK 4 News

  • KARK 4 News Mobile App

  • Arkansas Storm Team Mobile App