LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A new broadband report is out for Little Rock that shows the capital city has some work to do to improve its standing among U.S. cities.
The BroadbandNow.com report ranks Little Rock as the 2,968th most connected city in the U.S., out of 26,868 cities, and the 5th most connected city in the state.
"If a community wants growth, high speed internet is key. Broadband internet access is critical for communities that want to participate in the modern economy. Today, many residential areas and business properties throughout the U.S. are outdated, hindering economic and intellectual growth," says Nick Reese BroadbandNow's co-founder. "Our broadband search tools are used by over 1.5 million people each month, and we’re drowning in messages from Internet users frustrated by their lack of options."
Key findings of the BroadbandNow.com's Little Rock report:
- There are 33 internet providers in Little Rock with 21 of them specializing in business services.
- 96.44% of the city has access to AT&T Internet while 92.65% have access to XFINITY from Comcast.
- In general when it comes to competition, 72.0% of consumers have access to 2 wired internet providers.
- There are 8,000 consumers with 1 or fewer wired broadband providers available at their address.
- When it comes to download speeds, the fastest provider in Little Rock is Level 3 Communications with an average download speed of 91.37mbps. The runner up for fastest speed is XFINITY from Comcast with speeds of 79.72mbps.
- When it comes to download speeds, the top 10% of download speeds in Little Rock clocked in at 75.87mbps. This is faster than the state average of 65.56mbps and slower than the national top speed of 106.76mbps
Reese says the FCC’s latest Broadband Progress Report concluded “that advanced telecommunications capability is not being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion”. According to their report, only 38 percent of Americans have more than one choice of providers for true broadband.
BroadbandNow's report for the entire state shows:
- Arkansas ranks at 48 among most connected states.
- There are 614,000 people in Arkansas without access to a wired connection capable of 25mbps download speeds.
- Another 230,000 people in Arkansas don't have any wired internet providers available where they live.
The report lists these cities as the Top 5 fastest in Arkansas: Farmington, Rogers, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Springdale.
Click here to read the FCC's latest Broadband Progress Report.
A routine traffic stop was the beginning of a wild car chase after a…
A new sign - reads, "Coming soon" outside a once occupied…
Despite a soaker on Saturday morning, runners help raised more than…