LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program’s next “Sandwiching in History” tour will visit the Barney L. Elias House at 335 Goshen Ave. in North Little Rock at noon on Friday, June 6, AHPP Director Frances McSwain announced today.
Located in North Little Rock’s Park Hill Addition, the Art Deco-style Elias House was built in 1949 by contractor Barney Elias, whose construction company built the Arkansas Governor’s Mansion. In 1948 Elias and his Tri-State Construction Company submitted the winning bid of $94,235 for the construction of the Governor’s Mansion, which was completed in 1950. The Governor’s Mansion job proved to be excellent exposure for his company, and Elias built the 5-room Goshen Ave. house at a then-astronomical cost of $16,000. The Elias family occupied the house until 1969, when they moved to Jacksonville, Illinois. Designed in the Art Deco style, the Elias House has a vertical orientation provided by its asymmetrical façade, rusticated brickwork, and raised parapet.
The “Sandwiching in History” tour series targets Pulaski County structures and sites. The noontime series includes a brief lecture and tour of the subject property. Participants are encouraged to bring their lunches with them.
The American Institute of Architects offers one HSW continuing education learning unit credit for members who attend a “Sandwiching in History” tour.
Other 2014 “Sandwiching in History” tours will be held:
- July 11, George Dickinson House, 515 West 15th St., Little Rock
- Aug. 1, Old North Little Rock Post Office, 420 Main St., North Little Rock
- Sept. 5, Rozelle-Murphy House, 1301 Scott St., Little Rock
- Oct. 3, Augustus Lane House, 3617 Ridge Rd., North Little Rock
- Nov. 7, Roundtop Filling Station, Trammel and Roundtop Rd., Sherwood
- Dec. 5, Joseph W. House House, 2126 South Arch St., Little Rock.
All tours are free and open to the public. Click here for more information.