Arkansas Renters May Be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

LITTLE ROCK, AR (News release) - Arkansas renters who lost their homes or personal property as a result of the tornadoes, severe storms and flooding on April 27 may be eligible for recovery aid from the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and other agencies. 

“The storms and flooding that hit Arkansas didn't discriminate between homeowners and renters,” said State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell of ADEM. “Thanks to programs that support renters, eligible Arkansans who rent their homes may receive grants that will speed their recovery.” 

“FEMA’s mission is to ensure that all storm survivors get the assistance they’re eligible to receive—and that definitely includes renters,” said FEMA’s Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO) Timothy J. Scranton.

FEMA offers two kinds of help for eligible renters who were displaced from their homes by the storms:
  • Money to rent a different place to live for a limited period of time while repairs are made to the household’s rented home
  • A free referral service to find a safe replacement rental property
FEMA also helps eligible survivors, including renters, with uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster, such as: 
  • Disaster-related medical and dental expenses
  • Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses
  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, household items such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs
  • Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster
Additionally, renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 from the U.S. Small Business Administration to repair or replace personal property.

To qualify for state/federal assistance, renters must first register with FEMA. Homeowners, renters and business owners can continue to register online at or via web-enabled mobile device at They may also call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services may call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are staffed from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • KARK 4 News

  • KARK 4 News

  • KARK 4 News Mobile App

  • Arkansas Storm Team Mobile App