- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 5 small red onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. Addis Spice
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over low heat.
- Add ginger, onions, and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft.
- Add spice mixture and tomato; cook, stirring, until reduced and darkened, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups of water, cardamom, and chicken, season with salt and pepper; boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until chicken is done, about 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to a plate; cook sauce until reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Add eggs and warm.
- Pour reduced sauce over chicken. Serve with rice or flatbread.