Courtesy : Terry Sue Satkowski from North Little Rock, AR, 1st place, Arkansas State Fair
Cookie batter Ingredients
1 cups sugar
1 cup butter flavored shortening
cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
1 T. caramel extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
tsp. baking powder
tsp. baking soda
tsp ground cinnamon
Corn Syrup Glaze Ingredients
1/3 cup water
2 t. Karo Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp. caramel extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 drops yellow food coloring
3 cups confectioner's sugar
Yellow glitter sugar to sprinkle on top of each cookie
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cookie Batter Instructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream Crisco and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, syrup, and caramel extract. Beat well.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add gradually at low speed to creamed mixture until well blended. If dough is too soft, roll up in a plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for an hour. Keep refrigerated until ready to roll.
3. Roll dough to inch thickness. Cut out different sizes of stars, or all same size with a floured cookie cutter. Cut a wedge between the two bottom star points for placement at assembly. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 5-9 minutes (Bake smaller, thinner cut-outs closer to 5 minutes. Larger ones closer to 9 minutes). Cool thoroughly.
4. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, mix together sugar, water, and syrup. Stir constantly until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the two extracts, cinnamon and food coloring. Cool for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth after each addition.
5. Glaze one cookie and sprinkle with yellow sugar. Slide the slot of an iced cookie into the slot of a plain cookie.
Makes as many cookies as the sizes you choose - between 3-4 dozen cookies.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.